“There is no God except Allah alone. There is no partner unto Him.
To Him belongs sovereignty and to Him belongs all praise and He has power over all things.”
Very often one will hear the Arabic word “Allah” being used in regards to Islam.
The word “Allaah” is simply the Arabic word for Almighty God, and is the same word used by Arabic speaking Christians and Jews.
If one were to pick up an Arabic translation of the Bible, one would see the word “Allah” being used where the word “God” is used in English. Actually, the Arabic word for Almighty God, “Allah”, is quite similar to the word for God in other Semitic languages – for example, the Hebrew word for God is “Elah”.
For various reasons, some non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Muslims worship a different God than Jews and Christians. This is certainly not the case, since the Pure Monotheism of Islam calls all people to the worship of the God of Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and all of the other prophets. However, even though Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God -since there is only one God – their concepts concerning Him differ in some significant ways.
- Allah is One and Almighty.
- He is our Lord.
- He has created us and everything that is in the earth and the heavens.
- He has no partner.
- He has no mother or father, son or daughter.
- He is Eternal.
- There is nothing similar to Him.
- He knows everything.
- He sees everything.
- He hears everything.
- Nothing is hidden from Him.
- He is Gracious and Merciful.
- He is Clement and Forgiving.
- Allah has Beautiful Names which indicate His Attributes.
- He is One Who provides each and every one of His creation with the means to survive. He is the One Who has created everything for our survival like the earth in which crops grow, the sun which provides warmth, water which every living thing drinks from, the air which they breathe.
- Muslims should turn only to Him in their times of need and sadness.
- Muslims should seek help only form Him.
- He is the One worthy of worship. Nothing should be worshiped except Him. Shirk is the greated sin, that is, to associate partners with Allah and believe that they can cause us harm or benefit us.